1299 and Southern Pacific 1740 at Covina
By Charles Wherry
Here is Southern Pacific no. 1740 with Pacific Electric’s no. 1299 in tow pausing at the SP Covina station while the top brass inspect the facilities inside the depot. The occasion is an inspection trip sometime between August and October 1946 by PE’s management in conjunction with the purchase of SP’s Covina Branch which was consummated on September 1, 1946.
The Motorman is in full uniform as well as the officials wearing their full business suits and hats. Even the engineer is outfitted with his starched cap which he has removed in an effort to cool off while awaiting a ‘highball’ to proceed.
William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection