Metropolitan Coach Lines (ex-Pacific Electric) PCC car no. 5011 rolls southbound on Glendale Blvd. in Atwater in this image captured May 28, 1955.
Alan Weeks Photo, Alan Weeks Collection
5011 in Atwater2010-08-242011-11-16https://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/peryhs-logo-350.pngPacific Electric Railway Historical Societyhttps://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/peryhs-logo-350.png200px200px
This photo view is looking north on Glendale Blvd and Seneca Ave. The building with the four large arched windows is still there today but its painted LAVENDER with white trim….. The unpainted brick building to the left of that is also still there today and in use but it is now painted PURPLE……. Just beyond Seneca Ave is where Glendale Blvd now goes down for the underpass for the Southern Pacific tracks. Most of the palm trees on Seneca Ave are still there but much taller.
The Southern Pacific tower is visible on the right along with crossing gates. This area was actually once the edge of old Tropico, with the Tile works plant, which became Franciscan Pottery, being built on donated land located west of the tracks and the residential sectors on the east side. In 1918, the north side of Tropico joined Glendale with the south side becoming Los Angeles. From Southern Pacific’s The Bulletin Vol. III No. 16 San Francisco, Cal., September 1, 1915 on page 7: to wit, “Signalman R. P. Jodon of Tropico was commended ten days for discovering broken Pacific Electric trolley wire at Southern Pacific crossing, immediately notifying dispatcher and flagging trains through until danger was over.”
The station wagon on the left appears to be a very classic 1952 Ford (Fordor version).