Pacific Electric Magazine Ad (1917-19)
Late-teens Pacific Electric Railway magazine ad, just donated by long time friend and supporter of the Mount Lowe Preservation Society, Inc., Cyndia Williams, owner of Old Towne Antiques in San Dimas. Cyndia has a great store with loads of great items, so if you are on the hunt for something, go check out her business at 125 W. Bonita Avenue.
Note the “Other Points of Interest” where Pasadena is listed as home of the millionaires and Casa Verdugo, (on the Glendale Line) where the “Quaint Old Spanish Restaurant” is located, serving up dinners as in days gone by!
Mount Lowe is listed as “the foremost side trip in California.”
Gift of Cyndia Williams and Old Towne Antiques (San Dimas), Mount Lowe Preservation Society Collection
A dating clue…”Later a dispute arose between the interurban line management and Mr. and Mrs. de Sowl, the result of which was that the de Sowls moved their establishment to 1235 North Louise Street, close to where Randolph and Louise Streets meet today. The de Sowls ran,the Casa Verdugo at the Louise Street address from 1917 to 1921, and then moved in succession to a number of other Glendale locations before finally terminating operations in 1930. The Pacific Electric continued to operate a restaurant at the original location on North Brand Boulevard, under the name La Ramada.”…Glendale Area History by Perry & Parcher 1974 [Note-La Ramada was also the original name of the restaurant on North Brand Boulevard, location of adobe residence of Rafaella Verdugo Sepulveda and uncle Fernando. The Casa Verdugo name came as a mistaken identification of the home of the related late-Teodoro Verdugo (d.1904). It became official only after the de Sowls’ took charge under encouragement from L.C. Brand.]