The View from the Fullerton Spadra Road Bridge
From the Pacific Railroad Society comes this wonderful image that we believe was taken on a Railroad Boosters trip dated May 2, 1937. It is a view of Spadra Road, now North Harbor Boulevard, taken from the Spadra Road viaduct. We all know the photo – the one where they parked a car on that nice bridge in Fullerton with the two oranges painted on each side and a sign that reads Fullerton – Come Again.
Note the US 101 sign on the lamppost on the right. Spadra Road must have been US 101 at one time.
Pacific Railroad Society Collection, possibly Ralph or Wayne Melching Photo
Showing 2 comments
U.S. 101 followed a rather convoluted path from L.A. It was Whittier Blvd. from Los Angeles to La Habra, where it turned south on Spadra Rd. (now Harbor Blvd.), veered south on Los Angeles St. (now Anaheim Blvd.), then went south to Santa Ana. From there it went south on Main St. and east on First St. to “D” St. (now El Camino Real) in Tustin, and then south to San Juan Capistrano and San Diego.
The ice cream cone shaped building on the left was Helen’s (900 N. Spradra), owned by Helen Eldred. She lived in a trailer behind the ice-cream shop, which also sold cokes, hamburgers, and a foot-long hot dog for ten cents. The shop was originally named the Big Cone. The book Images of America: Fullerton (Arcadia) has a closer shot of the vernacular building, along with an interior shot of Eldred inside her eatery (page 39).