Pacific Electric no. 1258: It’s still here (sort of)
By Ralph Cantos
In this 1938 photo, Pacific Electric no. 1258 awaits departure time at the PE San Bernardino Station. The cars became known as “Portland 12s” to all that loved these elegant cars.
The Portland 12s came to the PE in 1929 from the abandoned Southern Pacific Railroad Portland-area operations. The cars were built in 1912 by the Pullman Car Co. On the PE, they were numbered 1252-1263. The Portland 12s served the PE well.
Only two of the big cars did not make it to the end. Car nos. 1254 and 1258 were both retired in 1947. The 1254 suffered extensive fire damage and the 1258 had a very unfortunate collision with one of PE’s own mighty 1200s. PE’s 1200s were much better built than the Pullman-built Portland 12s. Both cars were scrapped at the Torrance Shops, or so it seemed…
The 1254 was scrapped, BUT fate stepped in, and the body of the 1258 was purchased by a private party for use as part of a commercial business in the City of Lomita where she remains to this day. It takes a little “detective work” to spot the remains of the 1258, but she is there.