Pacific Electric 1360 at Corona, 1937

Pacific Electric no. 1360 at Corona, October 23, 1937.

© 1937 by Phillips C. Kauke, Stan Kistler Collection

Recent Posts
Showing 4 comments
  • Al Donnelly
    Reply

    The buildings to the right look like they might be citrus industry related. Was this a possible shipping point?

  • Al Donnelly
    Reply

    Link to 1914 PE Ry. map of Corona with existing lines and property proposed to be purchased: https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/detail/33118df/Pacific_Electric_Railway_Lines_in_Corona_California/Pacific%20Electric%20Railway.html

  • Al Donnelly
    Reply

    Map seems to have north incorrectly oriented toward west. The proposed purchase area is near the location of the Corona substation and stub (?) lines pointed toward the Santa Fe main. Grant Boulevard is a.k.a. Grand Boulevard. A station was located on the east side of 3rd Street bordered by Main Street along the southside….a stub-end house track was once present in front of the station, with the main line continuing southbound to just beyond Merrill Avenue where it turned west toward Santa Fe main (a proposed line to Yorba Linda was never built). [North of Corona and shy of “Porphyry”, PE Ry. and Santa Fe had an interchange on another branch….it would be interesting to know if this had anything to do with the clay deposit mining at Alberhill. Alberhill supplied clay for Pacific Clay Products (aka Pacific Pottery) and probably both the Wade Tile factory and Poxon Pottery (aka Furlong-Poxon Tile & Pottery) in Vernon. Maybe PE did some hauling related to these operations? Trainorders site had some discussion of the Santa Fe, but no mention of PE.]
    There is no mention of 1300 combine (converted cars) types serving this line, however, PE #1362 did serve as the San Bernardino franchise car around 1942. The Riverside-Arlington-Corona (?) line remained in freight service after abandonment of passenger operations, with dieselization in 1943. Arlington-Corona service was operated with a Birney after 07 July 1924. PE #1000 was taken to Corona Station in 1938 on a Railroad Boosters excursion.

  • Al Donnelly
    Reply

    Corrected reading of above, “There is no mention of 1360…types…”. [Other 1300 numbered cars did operate in the Inland Empire.]

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Start typing and press Enter to search