Robert Gaddie Collection

 

Unknown Photographer, Robert Gaddie Collection

Unknown Photographer, Robert Gaddie Collection

Pacific Electric no. 304 is assigned to the East Colorado - Lincoln Avenue Line in Pasadena. Its exact location is unknown. PE no. 304 was built by J.G. Brill Company in 1913. It was a center-entrance, low-floor car nicknamed "Dragon" on the PE.

They were were equipped with maximum traction trucks and two General Electric 201 F motors. Their fatal flaw was that they had to operate with a two-man crew. There was no way to convert them to one-man operation. As the PE reduced its local operations in the depression, these cars became surplus. All were disposed of by 1934.

Note the this photograph appears on page 39 of "Cars of the Pacific Electric Vol I Interurbans Special # 29" August 1975.

Unknown Photographer, Robert Gaddie Collection

Subway Terminal

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric 4 Comments

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

The Subway Terminal building is located at 417 South Hill Street. When it opened in 1925, the building contained 600 offices and was one of the largest office building in the city. The ground floor contained a waiting room and ticket office for the Pacific Electric. This is the southeast corner of the building.

To the left in the foreground where you can see the sign marked Entrance was the Hill Street surface station. At the time this photograph was taken the station area had become a parking lot. The Hill Street surface station was the terminal for the Venice Short Line and other western district lines.

The first train departed the subway on December 1, 1925. The last departed June 19, 1955, just short of 30 years later. (Suplement 3 to Special 16, Interurbans, Febuary 1958 pages 42A - 66B) The negative has been mislaid.

The date is July 11, 1965.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

East Long Beach

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

The Date is November of 1963. The Pacific Electric agency at East Long Beach had long been closed by the time this photograph was taken. The depot was located on Anaheim Street just east of Obispo Avenue. This is the west side of the depot.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Culver City Depot

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Pacific Electric Railway Company, Culver City. The date is March 26, 1964. This is the south side and west end of the Culver City depot. The baggage / freight room is in the foreground. The agent's office is in the center with the passenger waiting room at the far end of the building. A spur off the Venice Short Line served the dock on the side of the building. This view looks northeast.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Gateman’s Tower: Butte Street Crossing at Santa Fe Avenue

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric 2 Comments

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

The gateman's tower at Santa Fe Avenue. Santa Fe Avenue is to the left. At this point the Pacific Electric crossed the Los Angeles Railway J Line. The date is March 26, 1964.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Southern Pacific 4614 on Sierra Way

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

A portion of the Highland - Patton line remained in service during the 1960s.

The line operated over private right-of-way between Rialto Avenue and Sierra Way. The right-of-way cut diagonally across the blocks.

Upon reaching Sierra Way, the line went north in the center of the street. Here, the 4614 has picked up some boxcars at the team track and is proceeding south on Sierra Way.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Pacific Electric 110 – Bound for Arlington?

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

Unknown Photographer, Robert Gaddie Collection

Unknown Photographer, Robert Gaddie Collection

It's an unknown date as Pacific Electric no. 110 has its destination sign rolled up to Arlington.

However, we believe this photo was taken at 34th and Mountain View in San Bernardino; we know of no place on the Arlington line where mountains such as these would be in the background.

Additionally this photo is very similar to one appearing in Interurbans, Lines of The Eastern District by Ira Swett (published December 1954, page 27).

If this is 34th and Mountain View, this car is working the North D Street - Colton line.

Unknown Photographer, Robert Gaddie Collection

Southern Pacific 4614 in San Bernardino

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

The date is July 11, 1965. Southern Pacific diesel locomotive no. 4614 works some street trackage in San Bernardino.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

San Bernardino Freight Office

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

In the 1960s this dilapidated building at 137 South F Street, San Bernardino, was Pacific Electric's Eastern District operations center. Behind the building was the north throat of the San Bernardino yard. The yard can be seen on the right. This view looks southeast. The negative has been mislaid. The date of the image is December 28, 1961.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Redlands

Posted on: August 15, 2015 by Pacific Electric 3 Comments

 

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection

The date is November of 1961. This is a eastern-facing view of San Bernardino Avenue at Texas Street in Redlands, and the Redland Heights Citrus Company.

From photographer Robert Gaddie: Pacific Electric’s freight business in Redlands was, essentially, non-existent. After rail passenger service was discontinued in 1936 the Redlands line was cut back to Sunkist. Sunkist was located at San Bernardino Avenue and Texas Street. This was the location of the Redlands Heights packinghouse. This view looks east down San Bernardino Avenue. The packing house is on the left. Note the refrigerator car spotted at the building. In later years the P. E. changed the name of this station to Redlands. During the passenger era the track continued east in the center of the road. At Orange Street the track made a right turn and went to downtown Redlands.

From Facebook commenter C. Mark Sublette: I remember bicycling past this point in the summer of 1971 and seeing a Southern Pacific end-cab switcher working the spur. The PE would have continued up San Bernardino Avenue into the center distance and then turned right onto Orange Street to stub end in downtown Redlands. 2.07 miles of track were lifted when PE service into town ended in 1936. This point on the line was known as Sunkist.

Robert Gaddie Photo, Robert Gaddie Collection