Western District

338 in West Los Angeles

Posted on: October 25, 2011 by PERyHS 4 Comments
Harold F. Stewart Photo, Stan Kistler Collection

Harold F. Stewart Photo, Stan Kistler Collection

 
Pacific Electric streetcar no. 338 turns onto private right-of-way in West Los Angeles on April 23, 1939.
 
Harold F. Stewart Photo, Stan Kistler Collection

4 Responses

  1. David Sobo

    November 1, 2014

    Anyone know where this is? Roller sign reads “westgate”– would that be somewhere in west Los Angeles?

    Reply
    • George Cox

      May 15, 2015

      Yes. The street in the background is Santa Monica Blvd in Sawtelle. The camera is looking southwest. The entrance to the PE Westgate shuttle private R/W was located mid-block between Purdue Ave and Butler Ave. One mile north of this location the line passes the western gate of the Soldier’s Home before turning west to Santa Monica, hence the name.

      Reply
  2. George Cox

    May 22, 2015

    Correction- the camera is pointed due east.

    Reply
  3. Bob Davis

    May 22, 2015

    Extra points for the boxy old bus and the Gilmore “Red Lion” gas station–“Roar with Gilmore”.

    Reply

Leave a Reply