By Stephen Dudley
On June 28, 1957 there was an American Legion Parade on Ocean Avenue in Long Beach that blocked the tracks at the end of the Long Beach Line. For several hours, trains operated from the North Long Beach stop at Willow Street where there was room to spot additional cars and safely transfer passengers to/from buses. This was a Friday, so extra cars were placed there for the later afternoon traffic loads. The Willow Station of the Blue Line now occupies this exact area.
Transferring passengers from bus to a departing north-bound train. Another 2-car train positioned behind it. Single car no. 318 positioned on southbound main and Car no. 409 parked on the rarely used freight siding. Freight-only Newport line branches off to the left.
In the center of the picture, no. 318 parked awaiting arrival of no. #314 which will then be coupled to form a northbound 2-car train.
Side view of no. 409 on the freight siding.
Cars nos. 314 and 318 with a northbound train taking the cross-over to the northbound track. Car no. 314 had previously arrived as a single car train and coupled on to 318 parked on the southbound track. Car 314 has been mentioned as being preserved at the Orange Empire Trolley Museum -- thus, another picture during its operating days.
Car no. 409 had been previously parked on the freight track and was being repositioned to the southbound track to couple with a yet-to-arrive single car southbound train and then would head north as a later two-car train.
The portable substation no. 0187 at the Willow Street substation -- on a substation siding off the Newport line. This portable substation had been there for many years and remained until the end of service on the Long Beach line.
Stephen Dudley Photos, Stephen Dudley Collection