Southern District

5 Blimps for NRHS

Posted on: January 30, 2011 by PERyHS 2 Comments
L. Swanson Photo, Andy Goddard Collection

L. Swanson Photo, Andy Goddard Collection

 
Metropolitan Coach Lines (ex-Pacific Railway) blimps line up for a photo session south of Compton in the Southern District as part of an Electric Railway Association (ERA) - National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) fan trip on October 28, 1956.
 
Modified based on comment
 
L. Swanson Photo, Andy Goddard Collection

2 Responses

  1. Bob Davis

    January 30, 2011

    ex-PE 314 (ex-ex-Northwestern Pacific) is preserved in running condition at Orange Empire. In years past, it has run in three-car trains with the two operable ex-IER “Blimps”. Note that the NWP cars had Westinghouse electric systems, and originally ran on 600-volts from a 3rd rail, while the IER cars had General Electric motors and controls, and came from a 1200-volt system with pantograph current collection. Torrance Shops crews probably had their hands full (this was when World War II was raging) making them work on PE, and in trains together.

    Reply
  2. Craig Ferguson

    February 1, 2011

    Looking north, location is south of Compton; Artesia Blvd overpass was later constructed behind where the train is stopped.

    Reply

Leave a Reply