Northern District

Looking North on Fair Oaks at Huntington Drive

Posted on: September 25, 2010 by PERyHS 3 Comments
William W. Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Attributed to the photography of William W. Wherry, Alan Weeks Collection

 
This image captures a Pacific Electric car (in Pasadena Short Line service) heading southbound on Fair Oaks Blvd. in South Pasadena as it approaches the wye at Huntington Drive and Oneonta Station. The year is believed to be 1951.
 
William W. Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection
 

Here is a contemporary view of the location:
 

View Larger Map

3 Responses

  1. Bob Davis

    September 25, 2010

    Most likely summer of 1951–the Pasadena Short Line had 5050’s and the Monrovia Glendora Line had 732-759 after the 1100’s were retired in spring 1951.

    Reply
  2. Paul Kakazu

    September 26, 2010

    Anyone know if there were regular movements from south to east or from west to north using the double-track NE connector here at Oneonta?

    Reply
  3. Bob Davis

    September 26, 2010

    The west to north and south to east tracks were used by the South Pasadena High School train, which ran from San Marino to the high school. This was before San Marino had its own high school, which opened in 1955, a few years after PE abandoned rail passenger service. Not sure if PE provided bus service; more likely by then would be the school district running buses.

    Reply

Leave a Reply