Eastern District

1627 at Lone Hill

Posted on: February 13, 2013 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment
Robert T. McVay Photo, Norm Suydam Collection

Robert T. McVay Photo, Norm Suydam Collection

Pacific Electric freight locomotive no. 1627 and its crew member are photographed by Robert T. McVay at Lone Hill, one mile west of San Dimas, on the San Bernardino Line. This image is believed to be from a fan trip whose participants must have stumbled upon a switching move during the event. The image is undated.

Robert T. McVay Photo, Norm Suydam Collection

One Response

  1. Bob Davis

    February 20, 2013

    This location is almost unrecognizable today. The only clue to where the San Dimas branch diverged is a curved backyard fence on the west side of Lone Hill Ave. The branch itself was removed around 1970 to make way for what is now the 57 Freeway, and the salvaged material went to Orange Empire. The main line is now the Metrolink San Bernardino Line with a maximum speed of 60 mph.

    Reply

Leave a Reply