Eastern District

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

By Charles Wherry

It’s apparent that SP still enjoyed a considerable citrus traffic at Covina. In the distance, about 10-15 cars ahead of the engine, on the north side of the track can be seen the standpipe use for watering steam locomotives. Covina lay at the bottom of a grade that extended to San Dimas and La Verne and PE issued special instructions to address operations using retaining valves as well as maximum speed.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Southern Pacific 1740 Preparing to Depart SP Covina Depot

Posted on: August 2, 2017 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

By Charles Wherry

This photo was taken sometime in August to October, 1946 while on an inspection trip ordered by Pacific Electric management to view the trackage of Southern Pacific’s Covina Branch which PE was about to purchase. With all the dignitaries aboard, a road foreman or trainmaster is about to swing up the ladder and into the cab. Note he has the staff in his left hand authorizing occupancy of the main track between Irwindale and Covina. Upon arrival at the east switch of the siding the train will stop while this staff is replaced in the machine adjacent to the switch and another one authorizing movement to Lone Hill is obtained. The SP had installed their staff system many years prior on the Covina Branch and by 1946 it extended between Baldwin Park and Ganesha Jct. The inherent delays to stop and obtain staff authority caused much irritation to passengers as well as freight crews. Adding to the delay, PE installed their own staff system to protect movements on their single track line east of Monte Vista, (.58 miles east of the Covina station), to the connection with the SP at Lone Hill. The purchase of SP’s track between Bassett and Ganesha Jct. meant the ultimate abandonment of PE’s trackage between Baldwin Park and Lone Hill and to the citizens of Covina brought long sought relief from the presence of freight trains on Badillo St. through downtown Covina along with all traces of both SP and PE’s antiquated staff machine operations.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Pacific Electric 1299 at Southern Pacific’s Covina Station

Posted on: August 2, 2017 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

The motorman for the day is seen at the controls of the 1299 at SP Covina prior to installation of trolley overhead. Photo taken sometime between August and October, 1946.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Southern Pacific 1740 and PE 1299 at Lone Hill

Posted on: July 24, 2017 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Southern Pacific 1740 has stopped at the Pacific Electric’s Staff System bungalow at Lone Hill while the conductor, just visible at the right of the bungalow, is obtaining further staff authority to proceed. Some onboard officials are taking this opportunity to look at the coupling between the tender and the 1299. Photo taken sometime between August to October 1946.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

1299 and the Pacific Electric Brass

Posted on: July 22, 2017 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Here the full full weight of Pacific Electric upper management is on display. The occasion is an inspection trip over Southern Pacific’s Covina branch sometime between August and October, 1946 to view the property prior to installation of additional overhead trolley wire between the end of existing wire around Irwindale to Lone Hill. At the distant left, with both hands in his pockets and toes nearest the rails of the siding looking directly at the camera is President Smith. At 9th from the right is General Superintendent Squires. All of the other men in this photo I’m certain are heads or directors of various departments such as roadway maintenance, motive power, electrical facilities, accounting and such. The only other identifiable person here is either the road foreman of engines or a trainmaster, third from the right. In the gentleman’s left hand he holds the staff which allowed the train to proceed from Irwindale, behind the train, up to the switch at the east end of the siding here at Covina. Like all junior officials he wants nothing to go amiss on his watch so has taken personal custody of the staff lest the engineer forget the limits of this very special train’s authority. This photo was taken between August and October 1946.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

1299 and Southern Pacific 1740 at Covina

Posted on: July 22, 2017 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

By Charles Wherry

Here is Southern Pacific no. 1740 with Pacific Electric’s no. 1299 in tow pausing at the SP Covina station while the top brass inspect the facilities inside the depot. The occasion is an inspection trip sometime between August and October 1946 by PE’s management in conjunction with the purchase of SP’s Covina Branch which was consummated on September 1, 1946.

The Motorman is in full uniform as well as the officials wearing their full business suits and hats. Even the engineer is outfitted with his starched cap which he has removed in an effort to cool off while awaiting a ‘highball’ to proceed.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

1299 On Inspection Tour

Posted on: May 6, 2016 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

By Charles Wherry

From the Charles Wherry Collection and William Wherry photographic archive comes more photos from Pacific Electric on tour over the Southern Pacific Covina Branch, being pulled by Southern Pacific steam locomotive 2701.

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

“Looking west at P.E. and S.P. Junction at Lone Hill, Calif. 1299 and 2701, 8-23-46. Road Foreman of Engines W.O. Baker just stepped off engine to replace staff in staff machine (booth behind pole). Before electrification of S.P. line”.

Both Pacific Electric and Southern Pacific utilized a staff machine system to authorize train movements on their respective lines. SP’s system began at Baldwin Park with a machine at the PE crossing. Additional machines were at Irwindale, Covina (East Switch), Lone Hill, (Junction Switch), San Dimas station, La Verne Jct. switch and Ganesha Jct.
PE’s staff system began at Monte Vista .058 miles east of P.E. Covina utilizing the same machines at Lone Hill, San Dimas, La Verne and North Pomona.

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

“Looking east at Lone Hill. Engine is pulling 1299 under trolley wire before uncoupling. Track to right of 1299 is connection between P.E. Covina line and S.P. line. Track behind 1299 is P.E. line to San Dimas P.E. line.” (Conductor Brocato is visible in the end door of 1299 trying to place trolley pole on wire).

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

“Lone Hill, Calif. Cond. Brocato and M/M A.A. Johnston after 2701 had uncoupled and was getting in the clear to permit 1299 to continue on to San B’dno”. (Conductor Brocato was still working into the 1970’s.)

William Wherry Photos, Charles Wherry Collection

1299 Inspection Tour in Covina

Posted on: April 16, 2016 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

By Charles Wherry

This second photo of the series (original here) shows Southern Pacific no. 2701 and Pacific Electric no. 1299 at the Southern Pacific depot in Covina on August 23, 1946. I don’t know if the special stopped on this occasion. My dad was working during this time as a PE train dispatcher and presumably had advance information of the train’s itinerary. His note on the back of the contact print says: “S.P. station at Covina, Cal. Aug. 23rd 1946 before electrification. SP2701 and PE1299 inspection trip. Engr. W.H.Owen, Mtrm. A.A. Johnston, Condr. A.H. Brocato.”

The advance station sign reads: “Azusa Ave One Mile”.

William Wherry Photo, Charles Wherry Collection

Harlan Hiney Illustration: 1208 in Covina

Posted on: April 11, 2016 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

Guy Krivanek Collection

Guy Krivanek Collection

An original Harlan Hiney pencil drawing of Pacific Electric no. 1208 at the Covina station. Undated. From the Guy Krivanek Collection.

Guy Krivanek Collection

1299 on the SP’s Covina Branch

Posted on: April 6, 2016 by Pacific Electric 3 Comments

 

William Wherry Photograph, Charles Wherry Collection

William Wherry Photograph, Charles Wherry Collection

On August 23, 1946, Southern Pacific 2-8-0 no. 2701 is preparing to depart Baldwin Park eastward over the SP’s Covina Branch with Pacific Electric office car no. 1299 in tow. The PE would purchase that portion of SP’s branch between Bassett, on the Sunset Route main track, and Ganesha Junction, a short distance from Pomona, on September 1, 1946 a mere 9 days later.

This trip was one that PE officials made over the line to see firsthand what their $400,000 investment looked like. The SP’s trackage between the Reliance Rock Spur, just east of Baldwin Park and Lone Hill was not electrified at this time. That would come in the next two months as PE sought a route that avoided increasing automobile congestion on their original line along Badillo Street in Covina.

Here we see some last-minute mechanical goings-on beneath 1299 as overseen by Road Foreman of Engines Baker. Engineer W.H. (Windy) Owen is keeping an eye on things while the fireman has a last look around.

William Wherry Photograph, Charles Wherry Collection