Other Lines

Glendale & Montrose No. 10 at Forest Lawn in Glendale, circa 1924

Posted on: February 20, 2017 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

Charles E. Wright photo, Mark Effle Collection

Glendale & Montrose no. 10, seen on the left, is making a passenger stop at the entrance of Forest Lawn Memorial Park, in Glendale, California. The exact date is of this photograph is not known. However, a photo made at the American Car Company of no. 10’s sister car, no. 12, that is dated December 14, 1923, suggests that this photo was made shortly after three of these double-truck Birney cars arrived on the G&M property. Number 10 is not yet sporting its once-familiar white paint job on the faces of these types of cars. This fact suggests that no. 10 is very close to being brand new.

When passenger service ended in 1930 on the G&M, these still relatively new cars sat on the dead line at Pacific Electric’s Torrance Shops until 1937, when apparently nos. 10 & 12 were given away to the San Diego Electric Railway, in which they promptly spent over $12,000.00 refurbishing both cars for service. G&M no. 11 was not so lucky and was cut up for scrap in 1937.

Cars numbered 10 and 12 were renumbered 351 and 352, respectively, and carried passengers on the Number 20 Coronado Island Line for another 10 years until June 1, 1947 when they too were finally scrapped.

Charles E. Wright photo, Mark Effle Collection

Dewbert L. Bourland and Los Angeles Traction Company No. 86

Posted on: October 17, 2014 by Pacific Electric 5 Comments

 

Guen Hodgson Sheets Collection

Guen Hodgson Sheets Collection

This absolutely stunning image was sent to us by Guen Hodgson Sheets, and here is her story:

Dewbert L. Bourland [conductor, standing on the steps] was my step great-grandfather and I know he worked for the Los Angeles Railway Co. in 1918. In this picture he looks much younger than 39 and is why I say it is early 1900s. At this time in his life he lived in Orange County.

We believe this image may actually date from the late 1890s, but we welcome any comments. And we graciously thank Guen for contributing this wonderful image to share with Los Angeles traction fans.

Guen Hodgson Sheets Collection

KCET: L.A. as Subject: Incline L.A. Part 2 – Mt. Washington

Posted on: July 12, 2013 by Pacific Electric 1 Comment

 

Part 2 of KCET and USC's look at Incline Railways in Los Angeles focuses on Mount Washington - it's absolutely terrific, so set aside a few minutes to watch it closely. Great animations of vintage photographs, and expertly reported and edited.

Los Angeles & Pacific No. 234 at 316 West 4th Street

Posted on: February 13, 2013 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

Ralph Cantos Collection

Ralph Cantos Collection

In this 1902 view, the camera looks to the east as Los Angeles & Pacific car no. 234 waits its departure for Venice and Santa Monica in front of the LAP Depot at 316 West 4th Street, between Hill Street and Broadway. Number 234, a narrow gauge car, will depart Downtown Los Angeles using Los Angeles Railway tracks along Spring and Main Streets. By 1912, no. 234 was completely rebuilt from top to bottom and made standard gauge. The rebuilt car became PE no. 584. All of the former LAP narrow gauge track on 4th Street and the Depot was abandoned in favor of the new Hill Street Station, which in turn would be rebuilt into the mega Subway Terminal Building in 1924-25. The 534 would burnish the rails of the PE until 1937.

Ralph Cantos Collection

Ontario & San Antonio Heights Railway Company

Posted on: February 5, 2013 by Pacific Electric 4 Comments

 

Steve Crise Collection

Steve Crise Collection

An engraving showing the Ontario & San Antonio Heights Railway Company from the foot of the line, in Ontario, looking north to Upland and Mount Baldy.

From the indispensable ERHA Site:

The line began operating with mule cars in 1887, a mule hauling the little single-truck car from State St.(Ontario) due north to San Antonio Heights, about ten miles north and 1200 feet higher; on the return trip the motive power climbed aboard a tiny trailer and coasted down with the car. When O&SA electrified the line in 1895, the mules became the property of a nearby rancher; the story goes that the temperamental animals pulled the plough fine uphill, but refused to work downhill.

A thirty-acre amusement park was built by the company of San Antonio Heights, with a powerhouse adjoining. Heavy crowds were transported along Euclid Ave. in the early days, for the line connected Ontario with Upland, provided connections between the SP Station at Ontario and the Santa Fe Station at Upland, and cared for the thongs bound for pleasure-seeking at the Park. Euclid Ave. was famous for it divided highway; in the wide center strip was a double line of huge pepper trees, and between the rows of trees, set a grass-covered private way, went the single track of this line.

Owned after electrification by Ontario Electric Company, the line became the property of the Pacific Light & Power Corporation. in a merger in 1908. Mr. William G. Kerckhoff, at that time president of PL&P, energetically pushed the expansion of the O&SA by building its branch to San Bernardino. However, the O&SA was purchased by SP on 13 April 1912 and this line, plus the line from Upland to Pomona, passed into PE hands.

Steve Crise Collection

Daily Balloon Route Excursion Brochure (1910)

Posted on: November 20, 2012 by Pacific Electric No Comments

 

Mount Lowe Preservation Society Collection

Mount Lowe Preservation Society Collection

This circa 1910 brochure measures 3.5" by 7" and is a single fold, gifted by the late Vic McVey (McVey Hardware Store, Temple City) as part of his entire collection donated to the Mount Lowe Preservation Society.... Read More

Court Flight Images from Chard Walker

Posted on: November 6, 2012 by Pacific Electric 2 Comments

 

Pacific Railroad Society / Chard Walker print collection

Pacific Railroad Society / Chard Walker print collection

A view of Court Flight, the funicular railway that served Court Street (so named because of proximity to the downtown courts) at Broadway, photographed by Chard Walker. The date is February 14, 1943.

From the Pacific Railroad Society / Chard Walker print collection attributed to Chard Walker... Read More